Have you ever heard, read, or even seen the abbrev “DYOR”? If not, it means Do Your Own Research. This slogan which appeared in conspiracy theory circles in the 1990s has grown in popularity over the past decade and becomes a common phrase used by cryptocurrency enthusiasts.
In this article, you’ll find a few blockchain & crypto topics you might need to study to start doing your own research (at your rhythm).
While this article will point specific web3/blockchain/crypto skills & understanding, we’ll see later a list of comportment skills/soft skills that could bring you to the next level of crypto investors!
DYOR aims to reduce the number of uninformed investors in cryptocurrency. It encourages them to research and understand a cryptocurrency project before investing. It should prevent the risk of buying a scam project, falling into FOMO (Fear Of Missing the Opportunity), or following some toxic influencers (Instagram, Twitter, Discord & more).
DYOR process should bring you some answers to exactly why you’re buying this cryptocurrency and supporting that project.
The term is also often used by traders and enthusiasts as a disclaimer when sharing posts of their market/token analyzes on social media. A quick & smart way to tell you: make the decision on your own before investing.
The following section is a list of skills you may need to master to start structure your studying. I have divided those skills into two sections: Basic skills & advances skills, so you can easily explore & learn at your rhythm, and not only rely on influencers.
Basic Skills & Understanding:
- What’s blockchain technology? (https://blog.goodaudience.com/blockchain-explained-in-1000-words-6bb83020b036 , https://codingclubiitg.medium.com/blockchain-e040b7402efb , https://medium.com/station-f/blockchain-explained-to-your-grandparents-c7fe71a9a339)
- What’s Bitcoin & how it works? (https://medium.com/the-capital/bitcoin-explained-in-simple-terms-74043ab9d3a4 , https://bitcoinmaximalist.net/eli5-bitcoin-explain-bitcoin-like-im-five/)
- What’s Ethereum & how it works? ( https://medium.com/stakingbits/ethereum-explained-what-is-ethereum-and-how-it-works-29f335eed75d , https://medium.com/geekculture/ethereum-2-0-explained-for-absolute-beginners-190d0ce907ad)
- What’s a smart contract? (https://medium.com/gx-blocks/smart-contracts-explained-for-beginners-56eeac75ce65)
- Proof of work VS Proof of stake (https://www.coinbase.com/fr/learn/crypto-basics/what-is-proof-of-work-or-proof-of-stake , https://www.coindesk.com/learn/proof-of-work-vs-proof-of-stake-what-is-the-difference/
- Discovering Web3, what is it? (https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/what-is-web3?r=US&IR=T , https://cointelegraph.com/blockchain-for-beginners/what-is-web-3-0-a-beginners-guide-to-the-decentralized-internet-of-the-future)
- What’s an NFT (NonFungible Tokens)? (https://rockcontent.com/blog/nft-for-dummies/ , https://cryptopotato.com/what-is-nft/)
- Difference between cryptocurrency/coins & tokens? (https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/cryptocurrencies-vs-tokens-difference , https://developers.rsk.co/guides/get-crypto-on-rsk/cryptocurrency-vs-token/ , https://www.fool.com/investing/stock-market/market-sectors/financials/cryptocurrency-stocks/crypto-tokens/)
- Crypto & security (https://medium.com/shapeshift-stories/the-ultimate-security-guide-for-ethereum-beginners-eeb713f4e9af , https://www.coinbase.com/fr/learn/crypto-basics/how-to-secure-crypto)
- CEX vs DEX (https://www.ledger.com/academy/dex-or-cex-your-exchange-guide , https://101blockchains.com/cex-vs-dex/)
Advanced Skills & Understanding:
- NFT’s utility (https://decrypt.co/resources/what-are-utility-nfts-unique-tokens-offering-real-world-benefits , https://101blockchains.com/utility-nfts/ , https://wagmi.tips/guides/7-great-nft-utility-ideas-for-developers/)
- Understand Tokenomics (https://cointelegraph.com/trading-for-beginners/what-is-tokenomics-a-beginners-guide-on-supply-and-demand-of-cryptocurrencies , https://www.coindesk.com/learn/what-is-tokenomics-and-why-is-it-important/ , https://coinmarketcap.com/alexandria/article/what-is-tokenomics)
- Blockchain governance (https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-blockchain-governance-keep-crypto-decentralized/ , https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/blockchain-governance-mechanisms)
- DeFi, Stacking, and Farming (https://decrypt.co/resources/defi-decentralized-finance-explained-guide-learn , https://blog.shrimpy.io/blog/yield-farming-vs-staking-how-are-they-different , https://learn.bybit.com/investing/yield-farming-vs-staking/)
- On-Chain Analysis (https://www.mlq.ai/what-is-crypto-on-chain-analysis , https://www.blockstar.ch/post/an-introduction-to-on-chain-analysis , https://www.coindesk.com/learn/what-is-crypto-on-chain-analysis-and-how-do-you-use-it/)
Keep in mind that you’re not going to be a 10/10 in everything, that’s absolutely not the point! Make sure to learn JUST ENOUGH to understand most of the project use cases, innovations & specificities. Try to find a great book on the subject and have a few “go-to” following people in each field that you learn.
I recommend you to use mostly Twitter & some great podcasts! I’ll give you my best source of information in n upcoming article!
Feel free to comment, adding your best sources of inspiration. We’ll all here to learn, discover and build financial freedom.
New to trading? Try crypto trading bots or copy trading